Sunday, August 10, 2008

Still spending, but learning

Hi y'all,

Well I bought more than one thing this month - here's the shake-down

LAST EVER quilt fabric (bargain from the USA) $35
DH's 40th birthday pressie (limited edition print of ship 1815) $170
AC adaptor for stone radio $40
Bubba J fleece nappy cover $10
Clothes for DD1 on sale at department store - jacket, long sleeved top and jumper $60
Birthday pressie and Xmas pressie for nephew (AFL merchandise) $55

Total $360

The made in China items are creeping back in (the clothes for DD1 which she loves and has just about worn out already! and the AFL merchandise and the adaptor - sigh) but I've decided just to live with it. At least I'm aware more now of the stuff made in China that I buy - but to get clothes that are not made in China that my fussy 7 year old will wear is just too tricky. Same with electronic equipment...

Anyway, I'm quite pleased as this month I've really noticed that I'm thinking more about whether I really need to buy stuff. As an example, my faithful moccasin slippers lost all their inside fluff and usually I would buy new ones without thinking twice, but instead I lined them with an old wool sock and will try to see if I can get them last until the end of winter...I know it only sounds like a little thing, but I think I'm slowly changing my consumption mindset - woohoo!!!

Keep warm everyone!

2 comments:

Eilleen said...

It must be hard with your fussy clothier. Have you told her why you were wanting to avoid certain items?

I have started telling my kids about why I don't buy certain things (without the gory details of course) and I have been surprised how they have also now stopped wanting certain items as well. I didn't think they would "get it" but it seems that they do... well at least my almost 6 year old seems to and my 4 year old just follows whatever his sister does.

Anyway, well done in your efforts towards more mindful consumption!

Miss Cinders said...

I think I am going to have to take your lead and keep track of my monthly spending. I know I have gone way over what I should have spent already this month. Mayube having a visual on my blog will keep me in check abit more.

I have also started to be more aware of just what is "made in China" that we buy. OMGoodness! There is sooo much when you look at labels!

You are doing great!