Saturday, June 7, 2008

May wrap-up

Ouch! Not so good this month, but I have an excuse. We are just about to start building some extensions on our tiny house and I'm expecting we will run out of money whilst doing so. So I've decided to buy all the birthday pressies coming up in the next few months before the money runs out. So here tis:

$36 soft soled shoes made in Canada for DD2 - she grew out of her last pair and they are the only ones that stay on her feet

$25 knickers for DD1 from ebay. This was a bit of a disaster. I convinced DD1 (aged 7) to try some organic cotton knickers from Blessed Earth online store a few months ago. I love them, but DD1 reckons they give her wedgies. So I found some other australian made organic cotton panties online but she gave them the thumbs down. I eventually caved in to the inevitable and bought some Calvin Klein ones from ebay. Made in China. She loves them and won't wear anything else. Sigh.

$30 hairbands from Ribbonista online store as birthday pressies for DD1's friends. These are such a hit with the kids - made by a WAHM - absolutely love them!

$80 flannette backing for Q4. Yes I know. Someone hit me. At least it wasn't made in China.

$39 CD from Oxfam online - French cafe music. SOOOOO COOOOL. For myself for Xmas from DD1 and DD2 - getting in early, I know.

$93.50 Handmade stool with her name carved into it, for my nieces 2nd birthday. Handmade in Australia by Sams Handcrafts. Nice!

$139.75 Dollshouse for DD2's birthday from Bentsticks (handmade in Aust). I'm knocked out by how cute this dolls house is. All made from wood, no plastic in sight. Excellent!

$37 remote controlled helicopter for my nephew's birthday from ebay. Yes, its made in China. Doh!

$18 Clock for DD1 from ebay. I truly loathe this clock. DD1 was desperate for it (its a digital clock with different coloured backlights) and I caved in and bought it for her, for participating in an esteddfod. Its made in China, as already gone through a set of batteries and has started to fall apart. Grrrr. It sums up everything I can't stand about made in China items. Dodgy, fleeting items that break easily and then you throw it away and get another one. What a waste. Grrrrr.

$76 flannette sheet set. We needed a fitted QS sheet as ours developed a massive rip and the girls needed a pillowcase each. I really wanted to put my money where my mouth is and get organic cotton ones but they were SO out of my budget. In the end I got 2 sets of fitted sheets, 2 flat sheets and 4 pillow cases for $76 from ebay. Made in China. Gulp. But thick and they look like they will last. Crossing fingers.

Total $574.25. Ouch. But at least all the main birthday pressies from now til Xmas are accounted for.

Anyway, May was a mixed month and I can't for the life of me think of a mini-challenge for June. Last months mini-challenge was finally completed - I managed to fill a bag for vinnies of clothes I will never wear again, and also put away a few baby toys that I couldn't part with and will donate the rest to the school fair, so yay!!! The clothes cull didn't result in the huge amount of free wardrobe space I was hoping for, but nevermind. Onwards and upwards.

No comments: