Thursday, January 31, 2008

January Round-up

Okay, so here's what I bought during January. Before I list them all, I have to say that I'm quite pleased with myself. Compared to what I was spending and buying late last year, I have come a long way.

Okay. Here it is:
$20.70 Webkinz toy for DD1. She paid me for it by washing the outside of my car, polishing the windows and vacuuming its insides. She ended up playing the online games for hours each day and I reckon it was money well spent.

$50 Bathers for DD1 from the Cancer Council shop

$40.20 Quilting fabrics for Q3. I bought these in bits and pieces throughout the month from various ebay shops. I added them all up and they came to this total.

$79.70 Bamboo, wild nettle and cotton backing for Q1, bought from WAHM online shop

$40 My sister's b'day pressie - handmade necklace from the Female Factory shop

$82.39 Quilt batting (unbleached cotton) and backing for Q2 and spool of King Tut quilting thread from online shop

$50 B'day pressie for DD1 (its not til March but I'm getting in early this year) - handmade necklace and earrings from the Female Factory shop

$48 B'day pressie for DH (not til September. Yes that's not a typo. His b'day is in Sept) - a clock in the shape of a VW combi with a surfboard on top, bought from small gift shop in city

$41 Another 2 webkinz toys. One for DD1's best friend's birthday which was a couple of days ago and another to put away for DD1's birthday (yes I know, hit me)

$8.83. DVD Mr & Mrs Smith

TOTAL - $460.82 (ouch)

A few observations. I think my high point was the bathers - before the Challenge I just would have bought onces made in China from a department store, but these ones are really nice, made in Australia and the profit goes to the Cancer Council - woohoo!! The handmade necklaces were also a great find, with the profits going to restoring the convict women's prison just down the road from us.

Low points. Hmmmm. I was surprised how much I spent on quilting - although the expenses for Q1 and Q2 are now pretty much done, only Q3 should be chewing up my money from now on. And I bought heaps of gifts!! For people whose birthdays were ages away!!! I think there is a bit of retail transferance or something happening there.

There are 2 items that I can't really justify - the extra reel of quilting thread and the DVD. I love the quilting thread, and although it was an indulgence, I'm happy with it. The DVD was a good buy I reckon - both DH and me love that movie and had recorded it when it was on TV a while ago but the recording stuffed up and each time we watch it, it cuts out at a random point. So I decided when the price was low enough I'd buy a copy.

And back to the good news, I didn't buy any cloth nappies!!!!!! For the first time in over a year, I haven't bought a cloth nappy this month. Not even a Bitti D'lish. Gosh. Who'd have thought. Anyway, I need to go and watch something on TV about Cat Stevens and I've rambled enough. SO there it is - the January round-up.

3 comments:

Tanja said...

Isn't it interesting how keeping track of your expenses makes you so aware of more than you could possibly imagine?

You sound a little disappointed, but don't be too hard on yourself, you're just starting out in this adventure, ok?

History of the Crusades said...

Thanks Tanja! I'm not exactly disappointed (I've come a LONG way compared to my spending habits from last year!!) it was just so surprising how quickly things add up! As you pointed out, I've got the rest of the year to go, so definitely room for improvement!

Theresa said...

I agree with Tanja - you've done really well for the very first month of the new challenge!

I think you've done really well and I'm so impressed with the idea of starting to organise birthday pressies in advance!