Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Nanna Factor

I was eating my way through the best crop of apricots we have had for years, and it got me thinking about my Nanna (who gave us the apricot tree as a wedding present).

She's 84 years old and has lived alone since my Pop died about 5 years ago. She lives in the same tiny weatherboard house they built before the second world war. Before she was married, she lived with her 3 sisters and brother on a farm, during the depression.

She has a totally different attitude to consumption than the current generations. She has always had a vegie garden and fruit trees and grows most of the vegetables and fruit that she eats. She makes jam and preserves with the left-over fruit. She knits, sews, mends, crochets and does an amazing amount of handyman tasks. If something breaks, she will try and fix it rather than throwing it away. She repairs, builds and creates her own cupboards and the like. She really is an amazing person.

Anyway, it occurred to me that people nowdays rely so much on there being groceries in the shops, electricity coming down the wires, water running out of taps etc etc. If something happened to disrupt that (a natural or man-made disaster) where would all those people be who own inner-city apartments worth millions of dollars (with no garden, everything automated and electronic, and a tiny kitchen)?? What would they do? Do any of them know how to darn socks, dry tomato seeds and save them for next years crop, and preserve excess fruit so you can eat it in winter?? Don't reckon.

My Nanna, though, would hardly miss a beat. She doesn't have a cow or goat, so she wouldn't have any dairy products and wouldn't eat meat, but on her average suburban block of land and tiny house I reckon she could exist quite happily through any food rationing, electricity blackouts and no new clothes to wear. She did it before (during WW2) with 3 kids, so I reckon she'd romp it in.

I just wonder where our priorities are today, and whether we are teaching our kids the right stuff. When people like my Nanna pass away (hopefully ages yet Nan) will all that important knowledge pass with them? Will people know how to let down a hem or darn socks? Will babies have knitted beanies to wear and homemade dolls to play with? Will people be able to feed themselves if they go to the shop and find no food on the shelves?

Hmmm. I hope so.

This consumer challenge is really making me think about stuff like this. Which is a good thing I reckon.

3 comments:

Eilleen said...

Thank you for your thoughts CC. I have to say, I agree with you. What we are seeing now is the loss of life skills... and the sad part of it is that we don't even realise that we are losing it.

Theresa said...

I agree with Eilleen too and have to say that your Nan Rocks!

I wonder if anything happened if we'd have a whole world of old people who could keep going and all us young'uns would be lost...

Cinders xo said...

I'm sitting here nodding my head... so so true. I think we would all be lost, some more than others. The world/people have become so 'cosmetic'. If only things were back to the way they were way back when...

Your Nana sounds like a beautiful person who is so in tune with the way it really 'should' be.