Friday, January 4, 2008

The Rules

Okay, here are the rules that I will try to stick to for my consumer challenge.

THE RULES

1. Anything bought during 2008 (except groceries and other items you can buy at a supermarket) must be recorded on a monthly basis along with the cost.

2. Before purchasing anything, the questions below must be considered.

THE QUESTIONS

1. Do I really need to buy it, or do I just want it?
2. Can I make do with something else that I already have instead of buying something?
3. Is it well made? Will it last a long time so in the long run it reduces what I consume?
4. Will it save money and resources by replacing something that is disposable?
5. What is its environmental impact and its carbon footprint?
6. Is it made locally?
7. Is it made with natural or recycled products?
8. Does buying it support a small business or charity? If from overseas, is it fairtrade?
9. Is it something that I will love and treasure, or is it something I will lose interest in after a while?

1 comment:

Tanja said...

I like #9. I think I'll have to add that to my rules.